Skip to main content

Cornell University

Accessible Transportation Options

Transit & Parking Accommodations

Cornell is continually working to improve accessibility on campus. All TCAT buses are accessible, we have increased the number of accessible bus stops and parking spaces, and we work with the Campus Planning department and link accessible parking spaces to paths of travel to buildings. 

Getting Started

Accessible Transit Options

Public transit companies are required to provide service to everyone in the community, within the corridor of fixed transit routes. If you are prevented from using fixed-route buses because of a disabling condition, ADA paratransit may be offered. ADA Paratransit is a curb-to-curb, demand-responsive public transportation service.

Faculty and staff can use their Cornell ID to ride all TCAT buses, any time they run, anywhere they go, and are eligible for Accessible Red Runner Transportation, coordinated through the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

Accessible Parking Spaces

  • A state-issued accessible parking placard or license plate and a Cornell-issued permit for the area must be displayed when parked in permit-restricted accessible spaces.
  • Campus visitors may use accessible spaces when displaying a Cornell University-issued accessible visitor's parking permit.
  • Accessible spaces reserved for specific individuals are signed with a license plate or permit information and are restricted to the designated permit holder.
  • A state-issued accessible parking placard or license plate and payment are required in ParkMobile and meter/pay station parking spaces.

See: Accessible Parking Map (GIS)

Student Accessible Parking Permits

Students must contact Student Disability Services to make accessible parking and transportation arrangements. SDS staff can help facilitate obtaining required medical documentation from health care providers, review options with the student, and make a recommendation for the most appropriate transportation accommodation.

Accommodations can include transit access, short-and long-term parking options, CULift services, or a combination of options. 

Employee Accessible Parking Permits

Short-term accessible parking permits for up to two months can be issued at the direction of a medical professional. Fees vary; Contact Us for more information.

Faculty and staff needing longer-term accessible parking must obtain an accessible parking placard from the town/municipal clerk of their places of residence, or an accessibility license plate from the Department of Motor Vehicles (Department of Motor Vehicles Accessible Permit Application Form)

With such identification, employees can opt for either:

  • PO Cornell hangtag, valid in accessible and permit-restricted spaces in areas signed A, E, ME, R, O, and WE; or
  • an AP Cornell hangtag, valid in any accessible parking space as well as most permit-restricted parking spaces on campus (see: Requirements).

Employee Accessible Permit Review Committee

A review committee for employees has been formed to assess cases of hardship and requests for reserved spaces. Commuters wishing to have the cost of their permit defrayed, or who need an individual reserved space, can request a form from Transportation Services. Please note the nature of your request in the message.


Employee Accessible Permit Requirements

  • The PO and AP permits do not allow parking in spaces reserved for specific permit holders or license plates, or in spaces signed for GP, M, MT, or NL permits. 
  • Accessibility permits can not park in ParkMobile or meter/pay station spaces without payment.
  • Both the accessible municipal placard or license plate and the Cornell hangtag must be displayed together at all times, even when the vehicle is not parked in a marked accessibility spot.
  • A copy of the current state-issued accessible parking placard or license plate registration must be on file with Transportation Services. This information must be kept up to date; please submit a copy of your new credential upon renewal of your state placard or plate registration.
  • Annual parking permit fees can be paid upfront or, if an eligible employee, via pre-tax payroll deduction. All payroll-deducted permits expire at the end of June.