Lawn and Turf Management
To report a problem in a campus landscaped or paved area email firstname.lastname@example.org. To report a hazard call 607-255-5322.
The Ground’s Department services include maintenance of campus landscaped and paved areas, with the exception of Athletics facilities and the Statler Hotel. The Athletics Department employs their own grounds staff. The Statler Hotel hires Grounds for landscape services that exceed our base level standard of care.
310 Acres of Lawns
- Mowed areas receive periodic mowing as required to keep grass height below about 4”.
- Areas damaged by winter snow removal operations are tilled and seeded prior to Commencement.
- Weed controls (herbicides) are kept to an absolute minimum and are applied on a limited basis. Many lawns will have varying populations of broad leaf and grass weed species present.
- Naturalized meadow areas receive an annual mowing.
- Irrigation and application of fertilizer are done on a very limited basis. We seek to identify and plant grass species that are well adapted to our varying soil types.
Look for signs around campus denoting that a location is a Campus Naturalization Zone