Special Event Transportation and Parking
Special events, celebrations, and ceremonies will affect parking availability and traffic circulation throughout the academic year. Information about event preparations and guidance for guests and community members is posted below and updated annually.
Special Events - Transportation & Parking Guidance
Homecoming Celebration September 29-30, 2023
Visit https://alumni.cornell.edu/come-back/homecoming/ for upcoming event information.
Road and Parking Lot Closures
Friday, September 29
- Hoy Rd Garage is restricted to permit holders (no ParkMobile).
- Garage levels 4 and 5 are closed.
- No garage entries are allowed after 5 pm.
- No exits are permitted between 7 pm and 10 pm.
- Campus Rd between Hoy Rd and Wing Dr closed from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- Garden Ave between Campus Rd and Tower Rd closed from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- Hoy Rd closes at 8:30 pm for the duration of the fireworks display.
Saturday, September 30
- Alumni Field
- Bartels Hall
- Crescent (closed 9/27-10/1)
- Kite Hill (Campus Rd C)
- Wing Drive
Additionally, vehicle traffic will be prohibited on Campus Rd between Garden Ave and Wing Dr on Saturday from 8 am to 5:30 pm.
Fall Opening August 14-19, 2023
Move-In Week Traffic and Parking Impacts
The fall semester move-in week begins on August 14, 2023.
Recommended Approach Routes
Recommended approach routes are designed to get resident students to their unloading zone quickly and easily. Please follow signs and/or directions from volunteers and traffic control personnel.
- Learn more about moving into your residence hall.
- Learn more about Orientation and your arrival on campus.
Parking After Unloading
After unloading, all vehicle drivers choosing to return to Residence Hall and/or attend move-in day activities will be directed to campus parking lots. Parking options have been communicated to students via email.
- Short-Term Parking Locations (Map)
Transit and Shuttle Service
Public Transit and dedicated shuttle service will be available from campus parking lots to North, West, and South campus bus stops. Please be patient, and be prepared for delays due to congestion and changing traffic patterns.
TCAT Public Transit App Find your stop, get alerts, and locate your bus in real time. Ride free on the Cornell campus August 14-19.
Recommended Routes: North Campus: 81, 30; West Campus: 10; Parking lots to Central Campus: 82
Charter Bus Service
Charter buses will circulate between campus parking locations and North and West campus August 14-18, 2023.
Road Closures and Circulation Changes
- Cradit Farm Drive: One-way westbound August 14-19; restricted to move-in traffic
- Jessup Road: Restricted to move-in traffic August 14-19
- West Avenue: One-way southbound August 14-19
- Pleasant Grove Road: Main approach to North Campus; expect delays
- Feeney Way/Thurston Avenue: Approach to and depart from North Campus; expect delays
- Stewart Ave/University Avenue: Main approach to South and West Campus; expect delays
Parking Lots Reserved for Move-In Day Activities August 14-19, 2023
North Campus (map)
- A Lot
- Appel Commons Lot
- Dickson Hall Lot
- Donlon Hall Lot
- Helen Newman Hall Lot
- Program House Drive
- Robert Purcell Community Center
West and South Campus (map)
- Stewart/Williams Lot
- University Ave Lot
- West Ave Lot
Central Campus (map)
- Alumni Field Lot
- Bartels Lot
- Crescent Lot
- Peterson Lot
- TRB Lot
- Do not rely on GPS once you arrive in Ithaca. Please follow the yellow or blue signs and/or directions from traffic personnel.
- The driver must remain with the vehicle during the unloading process. Do not leave the vehicle.
- Driving on sidewalks is permitted only during the initial move-in period. Please follow signs and/or directions from volunteers and traffic control personnel. Vehicles are not allowed on campus paths and walkways.
- Drivers must adhere to the specific unloading locations and instructions as communicated via email and on the housing website.
Reunion Weekend June 8-11, 2023
Over 7,000 alumni and guests are expected to attend Cornell Reunion 2023. Several parking lots on North Campus will be reserved for the use of returning alumni from Thursday, June 8 to Sunday, June 11. In addition to returning alumni parking, some areas will be reserved for the vendors and service providers entrusted to make this a memorable event for our guests. Where appropriate, signage noting the restrictions will be in place and must be observed.
Parking Lot Closures June 8-11
- Robert Purcell Lot, Program House Drive, and Appel Commons Lot on North Campus will be reserved for guest move-in and parking from Thursday, June 8 to Sunday, June 11.
- The A Lot will be reserved for all reunion classes housed on North Campus beginning Friday, June 9 to Sunday, June 11.
Campus Parking Accommodations Friday, June 9
To accommodate community members, permit and payment requirements are suspended Friday, June 9, except in the lots mentioned above, accessible and reserved parking including MT spaces, and life safety zones.
All are encouraged to plan their commute with this event in mind and avoid driving on campus if possible. Alternatives to parking on campus include using a park-and-ride, working remotely (if permitted), sharing the ride, taking transit, or cycling or walking to campus.
TCAT buses are currently running on a summer schedule. Please visit tcatbus.com for the route, stop, and schedule information.
Commencement Events May 25-28, 2023
May Commencement Ceremonies
The university will host two commencement ceremonies on May 27. In order to keep everything running smoothly for all graduates and guests, please:
- Review parking options and shuttle routes.
- Comply with all traffic control signage and directions.
Accessible parking accommodations must be requested via the Office of Commencement Events.
Park and Ride Shuttle Service Saturday
Free campus bus service will be available from 7:30 a.m. until approximately 5 p.m. and will travel between the parking lots noted on the map. Bus frequency is approximately every ten to fifteen minutes.
Buses are fully accessible and will travel from the pick-up locations at the A Lot, Central Campus, B Lot, and then on to the Crescent Lot behind the stadium.
Parking & Road Closures
Thursday, May 25 Senior Convocation Event
- Garden Ave. will be closed between Campus Road and Tower Road, from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- The Crescent Lot will close from 5 p.m. Thursday - 5 p.m. Sunday. Any vehicles remaining after 5 p.m. will be towed from the parking lot.
Friday, May 26 Events (Cornell Campus Map)
Campus parking lots are open to all guests attending individual college events throughout the day and evening.
- The Sage South parking lot at Sage Hall will close at 5 p.m. Friday - 12 p.m. Monday, May 29
Saturday, May 27 Events (Saturday Campus Access Map)
1st University Commencement Ceremony, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Stadium Gates Open: 8:30 a.m.
- Academic Procession from Arts Quad: 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.
- Ceremony: 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- Exit Stadium and Parking Lots: 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
2nd University Commencement Ceremony, 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Stadium Gates Open: 12:30 p.m.
- Academic Procession from Arts Quad: 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Ceremony: 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Exit Stadium: 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 27 Road Closures
Traffic will be prohibited on:
- Campus Road between College Avenue to Wing Drive from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Hoy Road will be closed from Campus Road to Hoy Parking Garage's lower entrance from 7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Garden Ave. will be closed between Campus Road and Tower Road, from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Feeney Way will be closed between Campus Road and Tower Road, from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Feeney Way between Tower Road and University Ave. will ONLY be open for buses from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Tower Road between Feeney Way and Judd Falls will ONLY be open for buses from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.