Special Event Transportation and Parking
Special events, celebrations, and ceremonies will affect parking availability and traffic circulation throughout the academic year. Information about event preparations and guidance for guests and community members is posted below and updated annually.
Annual Events - Transportation & Parking Guidance
Homecoming Celebration September 23-24, 2022
Homecoming activities begin Friday, September 23, 2022. Visit https://alumni.cornell.edu/come-back/homecoming/ for event information and registration.
Parking Lot Closures
The Crescent Lot will close at 5 pm on Wednesday, September 21, and reopen at 5 pm on Sunday, September 25. All vehicles must be removed from the parking lot by 5 pm on Wednesday or risk being towed.
The Hoy Road parking garage will be open to permit holders only (no ParkMobile parking allowed) on Friday, September 23. Additionally, on Friday:
Levels 4 and 5 of the garage will be closed to all parkers.
No entries are allowed after 5 pm. No exits are permitted between 7 pm and 10 pm.
On Saturday, September 24, the following parking lots are reserved for game-day events:
Kite Hill (Campus Rd)
- On Friday, September 23:
- Campus Rd between Hoy Rd and Wing Dr closed from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Garden Ave between Campus Rd and Tower Rd closed from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Hoy Rd closes at 8:30 pm for the duration of the fireworks display
- On Saturday, September 24:
- Vehicle traffic will be prohibited on Campus Rd between Hoy Rd and Wing Dr from 8 am to 5:30 pm
Please use patience when traveling on campus and comply with all traffic-control devices and instructions.
Commencement May 27-28, 2022
June Commencement Ceremonies
The university will host two commencement ceremonies on May 28. In order to keep everything running smoothly for all graduates and guests, please:
- Review parking options and shuttle routes.
- Plan to wear a mask when riding shuttles.
- Comply with all traffic control signage and directions.
Accessible parking accommodations must be requested via the Office of Commencement Events.
Park and Ride Shuttle Service Saturday
Free campus bus service will be available from 7:30 a.m. until approximately 5 p.m. and will travel between the parking lots noted on the map. Bus frequency is approximately every ten to fifteen minutes.
Buses are fully accessible and will travel from the pick-up locations at the A Lot, Central Campus, B Lot, and then on to the Crescent Lot behind the stadium.
Parking and Shuttle Maps
Friday, May 27 Events (Cornell Campus Map)
Campus parking lots are open to all guests attending individual college events throughout the day and evening.
Saturday, May 28 Events (Saturday Campus Access Map)
1st University Commencement Ceremony, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Stadium Gates Open: 8 a.m.
- Academic Procession from Arts Quad: 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.
- Ceremony: 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- Exit Stadium and Parking Lots: 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
2nd University Commencement Ceremony, 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Stadium Gates Open: 12:30 p.m.
- Academic Procession from Arts Quad: 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Ceremony: 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Exit Stadium: 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Road Closures Saturday, May 28
Traffic will be prohibited on:
- Campus Road between College Avenue to Wing Drive from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Hoy Road will be closed from Campus Road to Hoy Parking Garage's lower entrance from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Garden Ave. will be closed between Campus Road and Tower Road, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Feeney Way will be closed between Campus Road and Tower Road, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Feeney Way between Tower Road and University Ave. will ONLY be open for buses.
- Tower Road between Feeney Way and Judd Falls will ONLY be open for buses.
Reunion Weekend June 9-12, 2022
Over 7,000 alumni and guests are expected to attend Cornell Reunion 2022. Several parking lots will be reserved for the use of returning alumni from Thursday, June 9 to Sunday, June 12. In addition to returning alumni parking, some areas will be reserved for the vendors and service providers entrusted to make this a memorable event for our guests. Where appropriate, signage noting the restrictions will be in place and must be observed.
Parking Lot Closures June 9-12
- Appel Commons Lot on North Campus will be reserved for guest parking from Thursday, June 9 to Sunday, June 12.
- The Crescent Lot will close at 9 p.m. on Thursday, June 9, and reopen by 7:30 a.m. Sunday, June 12. All vehicles must be moved from the lot or risk being towed at the owner’s expense.
- The A Lot will be reserved for all reunion classes housed on North Campus beginning Friday, June 10 to Sunday, June 12.
Parking Accommodations Friday, June 10
Campus parking permit and payment requirements are suspended Friday, June 10 except in the lots mentioned above, reserved and accessible spaces, and life safety zones. Community members are encouraged to plan their commute with this event in mind, and avoid driving on campus if possible. Alternatives to parking on campus include using a park-and-ride, working remotely (if permitted), sharing the ride, taking transit, or cycling or walking to campus.
TCAT buses are currently running on a summer schedule. Please visit tcatbus.com for the route, stop, and schedule information.
If you have questions about parking and transit options, visit parking.cornell.edu, or contact Transportation Services at email@example.com.
Fall Opening Week August 15-19, 2022
The fall semester move-in week begins on August 15, 2022.
Recommended Approach Routes
Recommended approach routes are designed to get resident students to their unloading zone quickly and easily. Do not rely on GPS once you arrive in Ithaca. Please follow signs and/or directions from volunteers and traffic control personnel.
- Learn more about moving into your residence hall.
- Learn more about Orientation and your arrival on campus.
- North Campus Approach Routes
- West Campus and South Campus Approach Routes (University Avenue and Stewart/Williams Lots)
Parking After Unloading
After unloading, students who purchased parking permits will be directed to their specified lot or temporary lot for move-in week if they plan to keep their vehicles on campus for the semester. All other vehicle drivers must obtain a permit for one of the central or east campus parking lots if choosing to return to Residence Hall and/or attend move-in day activities. Parking options have been communicated via email to students with the reservation link.
Transit and Shuttle Service
Public Transit and dedicated shuttle service will be available from campus parking lots to North, West, and South campus bus stops. Please be patient, and be prepared for delays due to congestion and changing traffic patterns.
TCAT Public Transit App
Find your stop, get alerts, and locate your bus in real-time. Ride free on the Cornell campus August 15-19.
Recommended Routes: North Campus: 81, 30; West Campus: 10; Parking lots to Central Campus: 82
Charter Bus and Public Transit Shuttle Maps
- Parking Lots to North Campus Monday-Wednesday
- Parking Lots to North Campus Thursday-Friday
- Parking Lots to West & South Campus Monday-Friday
- Volunteer Shuttle to Campus Monday-Friday
Road Closures and Circulation Changes
- Cradit Farm Drive: One-way westbound August 15-19; restricted to move-in traffic
- Jessup Road: Restricted to move-in traffic August 15-19
- West Avenue: One-way southbound August 15-19
- Pleasant Grove Road: Main approach to North Campus; expect delays
- Feeney Way/Thurston Avenue: Approach to and depart from North Campus; expect delays
- Stewart Ave/University Avenue: Main approach to South and West Campus; expect delays
Parking Lots Reserved for Move-In Day Activities August 15-19, 2022
North Campus (map)
- A Lot
- Appel Commons Lot
- Dickson Hall Lot
- Donlon Hall Lot
- Helen Newman Hall Lot
- Program House Drive
- Robert Purcell Community Center
West and South Campus (map)
- Stewart/Williams Lot
- University Ave Lot
- West Ave Lot
Central Campus (map)
- Crescent Lot (ParkMobile)
- Bartels Lot (ParkMobile)
- Peterson Lot (ParkMobile)
- Toboggan Lodge Lot
- TRB Lot
- Do not rely on GPS once you arrive in Ithaca. Please follow the yellow or blue signs and/or directions from traffic personnel.
- The driver must remain with the vehicle during the unloading process. Do not leave the vehicle.
- Driving on sidewalks is permitted only during the initial move-in period. Please follow signs and/or directions from volunteers and traffic control personnel. Vehicles are not allowed on campus paths and walkways.