Facilities Management Training Group
Promoting, supporting and providing learning and development opportunities for all Facilities Management staff.
Please note: all safety/ regulatory training required by OSHA, Cornell University or Environmental Health and Safety are provided to staff through CULearn. All trainings required for your position are assigned to you, and will be in your queue when you log in.
For FM staff who have required safety and/or regulatory training:
- All training you are required to take have been assigned to you in CULearn.
- Login to CULearn and check your queue
- Questions? Call or email Shelby Clark-Shevalier at 607/882-5926 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For ALL FM staff:
- Below is FMTG’s list of recommended training (organized by topic)
- Take a look and take a training
- Keep your supervisor posted on what training you take
- Want more? Visit: https://hr.cornell.edu/professional-development/training
- Share! Found a great training? Please let us know. Call or email Shelby Clark-Shevalier at 607/882-5926 or email@example.com
Recommended and Optional Training Opportunities Available to Staff
Remote Work Training Opportunities
Working Remotely: Coach Mike Gutman from FlexJobs shows how to use today's cloud-based communication and collaboration tools to get work done from anywhere, while remaining connected to your organization. He reveals how you can create a productive work environment at home or around town by structuring your day correctly and avoiding distractions. He also explains how to build rapport with remote colleagues so you feel like you're part of the team and succeed in your remote career.
- Time Management: Working from Home: Working from home is a wonderful opportunity, but time management can be a challenge. With so many demands on your time and attention, it's a tricky balancing act to stay productive. In this course, bestselling author and productivity expert Dave Crenshaw offers best practices for anyone who works full-time or occasionally from home.
CMMS Training Opportunities
- Maximo and EZMaxMobile Content: Video on Demand houses several CMMS related videos created specifically for Facilities Management staff.
- Maximo Enterprise Asset Management: This Maximo overview video demo’s Maximo’s Enterprise Asset Management
Customer Service Training Opportunities
- Providing Effective Internal Customer Service: When you do things to help other people within your company do their jobs better, you are providing internal customer service. The quality of that service often has a huge impact on the overall quality of service delivered to external customers. 30 minutes: available through CULearn
- Providing On-site Customer Service: When you meet customers on their turf, your initial meeting forms the basis of their overall impression of you, your abilities, and your company. You can enhance the impressions you make in the field by using a few tried-and-true techniques. 29 minutes: available through CULearn
- Facing Confrontation in Customer Service: One of the most challenging and potentially uncomfortable responsibilities of a customer service person is dealing with angry customers. By following a few simple techniques, you can usually defuse tense situations without incident. 27 minutes: available through CULearn
- Controlling Conflict, Stress, and Time in a Customer Service Environment: Working at a customer support center or help desk environment can be challenging. Customers can sometimes be demanding and unreasonable. For the Customer Service Representative (CSR), understanding the emotional needs of each customer, adapting to how they communicate, and solving their problems can be extremely stressful and time consuming. 32 minutes: available through CULearn
Diversity Training Opportunities
- Bridging the Diversity Gap: Without diversity in the workplace, organizations run the risk of viewing things from a very limited perspective. The organization provides the structure for operation, but it's the individuals within the organization who carry out the mission of the organization. 27 minutes: available through CULearn
- Your Role in Workplace Diversity: To understand and appreciate diversity in the workplace, you must develop an understanding of yourself and the ways in which you and others view the world. 30 minutes: available through CULearn
- Understanding Workplace Diversity: Differences and similarities of ethnic, cultural, and family background are only part of a comprehensive approach to workplace diversity. This Business Impact explores additional elements that are crucial aspects of the diversity mixture in today's business world. 6 minutes: available through CULearn
- Overcoming Unconscious Bias in the Workplace: It's not just individuals who face unconscious biases in the workplace; teams and organizations can also operate with shared institutionalized biases. Ensuring a diverse workplace requires seeing past these biases. 25 minutes: available through CULearn
Team Building Training Opportunities
- Handling Team Conflict: Successful teams are characterized by having a clear direction, trust among team members, effective communication, and the ability to quickly resolve conflict. 30 minutes: available through CULearn
- Being an Effective Team Member: To make a real, positive difference on a team, you must take on the challenging task of putting the team first. This course covers strategies and techniques to help you become a more effective and valued member of your team. 30 minutes: available through CULearn
Management Training Opportunities
- How great leaders inspire action (18 minutes) Simon Sinek has a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership -- starting with a golden circle and the question: "Why?"
- Leading Your Team through Change: Change is not an event; it is a process. It's important to recognize that your role is to support individuals through the transition and remove obstacles that can hinder a smooth transition from one process to another. In this course, you'll learn about types of resistance and obstacles to change and how to overcome them. You'll also learn about how to overcome barriers to introducing change at your organization. Finally, you'll learn effective approaches for communicating change. 30 minutes: available through CULearn
- Managing Rapid Change in Crisis: As organizations implement a remote work policy during a time of crisis, micro- and macro-silos threaten workplace culture. Individuals suddenly working from home might feel disconnected and disengaged while teams and departments similarly struggle to collaborate and align laterally. In this session, we will discuss how to humanize communication and sustain personal interaction even while working remotely.
- Sustaining Engagement During a Time of Anxiety: During a time of crisis, employees face additional challenges and concerns that can, in turn, heighten anxiety and fear. As a manager, how do you deescalate growing tension and help employees stay engaged...all while working remotely? This session will provide a mindset model and applicable tools to overcome these challenges. Notes: Sustaining Engagement During a Time of Anxiety
Information Technology Training Opportunities
- MS Teams Video Training: training videos offer an overview of MS Teams functionality, to include quick start, start chats and calls, upload and find files, etc.
- How to use MS Teams: In this step-by- step tutorial for beginners, learn how to use Microsoft Teams. Teams is a collaboration app with all of your chats, meetings, and files in one place.
- Zoom Training: Zoom Basics, including how to configure your profile, schedule, in-session controls, and Advanced: including polling, break out rooms, mobile app, and more.
- Getting to Know Outlook 2016: Outlook 2016 is the latest release of Microsoft's primary messaging client. It provides all of the tools necessary for managing e-mail, scheduling tasks, and communication. In this course, you will learn about the basic features and functionalities of Outlook 2016 including a look at how to navigate in Outlook 2016 and view, reply to, and forward e-mail messages. The course also addresses how to create and send new e-mail messages. 30 minutes: available through CULearn
- Outlook 2016: Calendar Tools: Keep track of events, meetings and appointments in Outlook 2016 using the calendar function. Discover how to configure your calendar; create and organize events and meetings; add, import, and export calendars; and work with tasks. 51 minutes: available through CULearn
Health and Wellbeing Training Opportunities
- Destress: Meditation and Movement for Stress Management: Stress is toxic. Finding healthy ways to eliminate stress—to de-stress—is critical to a happy, healthy life. This course introduces a series of guided meditation and movement exercises that allow your body and mind to relax and refocus.
- Managing Stress for a Positive Change: In the workplace, stress is often viewed in purely negative terms. It's seen as a response that should simply be minimized or pushed aside; however, it's possible to use stress to fuel positive change. In this course, join instructor Heidi Hanna, PhD as she discusses what stress is, exactly; how you can train yourself to use stress in more effective ways; and what managers can do to reduce employee stress when an organization experiences difficult times.
- Let’s Meditate: Cornell Wellness staff are providing 30 minute weekly mindfulness meditations live through Zoom on Tuesdays and Thursdays through Cornell Health's Let's Meditate program. Sit with your eyes closed in a comfortable space while you are led through meditation exercises designed to focus on the breath and quiet the mind.
- Guided Progressive Relaxation: Cornell Wellness staff are providing 30 minute weekly progressive relaxation sessions live through Zoom Tuesdays. Allow yourself to be guided through this relaxation technique that will bring stress relief to your muscles from your head down to your toes. Tuesdays, 11-11:30am.
- Optimizing Mental Health through Nutrition and Fitness: Learn about connections between your physical wellness and your mental health. Taking steps towards a healthy lifestyle can play an important role in the health of your mind as well as your body. You'll leave with tips on how you can support your mental health through fitness and nutrition practices.